Thursday, January 23, 2020

Do I look like the kind of clown that could start a movement?

I've had a crazy busy week so far, but it's been a ton of fun! On Tuesday I was in Manchester, and then yesterday I made an impromptu visit to London as I'd learnt just the day before that there was to be a special screening of Joker with a live Q+A session with writer and director Todd Phillips afterwards! I couldn't book tickets fast enough!

Joker Odeon Cinema Leicester Square London

Although Joker hasn't been out very long, I'm not shy in saying that it's probably one of my favorite films of all time. I'm a huge movie fan and watch a lot of them, but I've never been hit so hard emotionally on my very first viewing of a film like I was with Joker. Even as a life long Batman comic book fan I never expected to like the movie as much as I did, especially as I was never keen on the Joker as a character as he always seemed kind of ridiculous and far-fetched. And I've now seen it a grand total of 9 times at the cinema! I really wanted to make as much of it as I could as I love the totally immersive experience of the movie theater - I even saw it in French when I was in Paris in November as I just couldn't bare missing a week of seeing it (and no I don't speak French, and yes it was a French dubbed movie!). After initially seeing it I even had a hard time watching other movies as I just couldn't stop thinking about it and didn't want to part with it as I just connected with it so much. Does that sound crazy?

I really wasn't into the idea of the movie before it was released based on the trailer, and admit I bought into the hype of wondering if it would incite violence (and I really loved a comment Todd made yesterday regarding this: "I actually think the violence that is in the movie is oddly responsible because it's horrific and feels real, just like violence is. I would argue that other movies where violence is celebrated is much more irresponsible so I don't know why suddenly we got painted with that brush.")

I honestly hate that violence is even such a focus as it's not that violent overall! It's mostly a character study of Arthur Fleck's descent into what drove him to become the Joker, and I can't help but feel protective of it when people are making these kind of assumptions as I feel like the themes are so well handled. Themes such as child abuse and the effects it leaves on a person after they've grown, the way neurodivergent and disabled people are treated in society (Arthur has a brain injury which causes his uncontrollable laughter), mental illness and the lack of support people receive for it and how often they're abandoned entirely to fend for themselves. I'm such a socially awkward mess with anxiety and a slew of other issues that I could relate to Arthur constantly being left on the outskirts, I've had numerous therapy sessions with doctors who never really listened and then had services cut due to lack of funding. I'm not saying that I necessarily relate to Arthur, but because I know what these things feel like I could empathize with his situation. I was so sad for him when he kept getting hurt and beaten for being "odd" when he wasn’t actually doing anything wrong, people are just narrow minded and this is the way disabled folk are treated every single day. And to see these issues tackled so honestly on screen without the usual glamorizing or 'othering' that usually happens to these topics really was something special.

Joker Odeon Cinema Leicester Square London, Q&A with Todd Phillips

Joker Odeon Cinema Leicester Square London, Q&A with Todd Phillips

I went to the screening on my own, and honestly had no idea what to expect and was thrilled to see that there were quite a few other girls of my age range there alone too! It was held at the Odeon at Leicester Square which I'd never been to, but I knew it was the movie theater where London movie premieres are held so my expectations were pretty high! And honestly I've been spoiled, it was incredible. My seat was second row so I expected to have the crane my neck looking up at the screen, but all of the seats were full on recliner style chairs with their own little tables attached to the arm rests so I was able to watch it almost lying down (and even with my legs up there was still about a meter of leg room in front of me!)

Joker Odeon Cinema Leicester Square London, Q&A with Todd PhillipsJoker Odeon Cinema Leicester Square London, Q&A with Todd Phillips

Todd came out of a side door at the end of the film and we got half an hour to ask him questions from the audience. I didn't ask him anything as everyone was asking him quite technical and analytical questions, and I felt silly as I'm not analytical so my questions were more about how he saw the plot as the writer - like why does Randall have such a predatory vibe and what's his history with Arthur that provoked him so much, and is Penny telling the truth? 

It was really special getting to hear Todd's thoughts and processes, he was very humble and gracious and it just really came across just how much he's put into this movie and how important it is to him. I just really appreciate hearing creatives talk about their passions and see them be so enthusiastic about their creations. He was so kind too; the cinema were trying to hurry him along as they had another booking in the theater but he kept taking more questions, and he wasn't supposed to do a meet and greet but everyone flooded to the front of the stage at the end and he took the time to sign and take photos with people and speak to them one on one. I managed to get a picture, but because my phone is so old and the movie theater was dark the image quality is pretty horrible, but it was still such a special moment that I don't even care and am just so happy that I got to have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment