Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Oh! You Pretty Things

I went to the antiques mall today, and as it'll probably be a while until I get to go again so I figured it was a perfect excuse to take some photos.


I love all of the Black Forest bear carvings. This one's an ashtray and you put matches in the bear's backpack, but you could easily repurpose it for sewing notions or the like. Look at that face, he just wants to guard your stuff!


Speaking of which, an Edwardian sewing kit. I was so close to buying this! I don't know if I could bring myself to actually use it though.

I loved these fish googely eye buttons. If there were more than two I'd of bought them. I also collect jet jewelery (any black stones you ever see me wearing are real jet) and I'd love an antique Victorian peice as it's so iconic to the era and what polularized the stone, but I'm always skeptical as to whether it's genuine in a place like this. I believe it's Victorian, but because jet became so popular the Victorians themselves created imitations using Bakelite, onyx, vulcanite, and other aesthetically similar stones. There are ways to test it, but it's not like I can whip out a peice of sandpaper in front of the dealers.


I got a kick seeing these old Macs too. Growing up I always wanted a MacBook (they were probably called something else back then but I don't care enough to look it up) like Elle Woods uses in Legally Blonde. Apple products used to be so colorful and fun, and now they're all the same. These may not be colorful, but they at least have some fun shapes. I doubt it's possible, but I'd love to kit something like this up with modern technology. I know it has it's niche collectors, but it's a shame technology is moving at such a pace that it's leaving so much obsolete tech behind as e-waste.


I love a good tray, and was obsessed with how this 1970s one has two different feet so you can adjust the height. Debating going back for it tbh.


I love seeing all the kitsch or straight up weird stuff, it fascinates me. Like who decided a chicken made out of corn was a good idea? Or taxidermying a foal and putting it on a skateboard?

All I brought home was a clown to add to my collection (and I feel bad leaving the other ones behind) I never really meant to collect these clowns, I initially found one in a thrift store and felt sorry for it and thought it was kind of cute. Then I found another one and thought hey, it's the same as my little guy but a little different! so I bought him too. And it's just grown into an accidental collection. I have no idea who makes these or anything about them really, but they're made by the same company as they all have the same basic mold and face paint. So whenever I see one, I feel like I have to really. This new one has some pretty bad sun bleaching to his outfit and his shirt is all torn at the back, so I kind of feel like I'm rescuing them from the garbage as some people are weird about clowns. I think they're cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment