Friday, April 1, 2022

So - what's the most swankified place in town?

wicked

I saw Wicked yesterday, which was actually my second time this month. I always feel like I want to write about it every time I go, but when I'm just seeing my favorite show over and over there's only so much I can say about it? I do really, really love this cast though! They've had a complete cast change recently, and it really is like new life has been breathed into it and it's so exciting! Although Wicked is my comfort show, I haven't really gotten properly excited about it in a while so it makes me so happy to feel so emotionally connected to it again. I think a lot of it has to do with the chemistry of the cast which is incredible. Elphaba, Glinda, and Fiyero genuinely light up around each other and it makes it all feel so much more believable. I'm really happy that Fiyero is currently being played by a black actor too, Fiyero is finally canonically accurate! 🎉 In the original book Fiyero's an indigenous brown tattooed prince of a backwater tribe that he's trying desperately to support in the modern age, and it's such a huge part of his character and his connection to Elphaba that even though he's my favorite I still think it's such a shame the musical turned him into essentially a frat boy.

program wicked wicked

Otherwise I kind of went here, there, and everywhere around London as I was looking for specific things to buy. I started at Trafalger Square and was blown away at how empty it was, it's usually heaving with people and you can barely get near the fountains or statues. I figured going to a large, central bookstore would be my best bet for what I wanted, but it turned out not so! So I walked to Picadilly Circus, then on to Covent Garden where I stopped in the art store and Moomin shop. I really wanted a 5 year journal I'd seen in the Moomin shop a few months ago but they didn't have it, and just as I was about to order it from Finland on my phone I remembered there's another Moomin shop in Camden so I hauled myself over there. I really, really recommend this store over the Covent Garden one, it's so much bigger and better spaced out, and every time I've gone it's always almost empty so you're not climbing over people to look at stuff. And they had my journal, I got the last one! I'm inspired to give this a try as I feel like so much has changed in the past 5 years already that I love the idea of keeping track and seeing what I was doing or feeling on that exact day the year before, or the year before that. Afterwards I grabbed some food, before taking a slow mosey over to the theater. I always prefer to walk than take the tube if I can as I like getting to actually see the city instead of just snippets of it.

trafalger square trafalger square trafalger square leicester square camden lock camden high st st james park wicked

No comments:

Post a Comment