Sunday, March 8, 2020

With this perfect finale, the cheers and the ballyhoo

I saw Wicked yesterday as it'll probably be a long while until I get to see it again. And although I obviously enjoyed it, I'm happy to say that I'm content to take a break. I still love it like always, but it's definitely veering into the familiar and I don't want to see it so often that it loses it's magic as it's such an important happy place for me.

Wicked London
WickedWicked London
Sat in my usual spot, second row right under the Time Dragon!

Lisa-Anne Wood was playing Glinda and she's fantastic, I'd not seen her before but I really loved everything about her performance. I never understand it when they hide away the better actors as the standby and I always appreciate getting to see them in the role - I hate when people complain about having to see a standby, it's a treat! Laura Pick is Elphaba now, she's been the standby Elphaba for years but Nikki Bentley had to suddenly drop out which is a huge shame and I hope she's OK. I'd seen Laura before when she covered for Alice Fearn so knew I was in good hands, and I'm so happy for her that she's the principal now as she's worked so long and hard at the role. Unfortunately I’m still really underwhelmed with Fiyero which is a shame as he's one of my favorite characters. I still really loved Kim Ismay as Madame Morrible, she looks like she’s chewing a wasp throughout the whole thing. There's a new Boq and I really liked him too, but it does bother me though that Boq is the only character that they regularly cast black actors for when Fiyero is canonically an Indigenous person of color and always played by a white guy. It would be so refreshing to see him correctly cast just once! Overall I really loved it though! I nearly cried at the end as it was just so perfect, and on my way home I couldn't help but wonder that, if my dreams end up coming true, whether this could be the last time I see it in London?

Wicked London

They had some new merch, so of course I had to get it.

Otherwise I spent most of my trip running after my own tail a little bit, but I still enjoyed it! I went to Covent Garden and had a little wander round, and popped into Cath Kidston as I was debating whether to get any of their frog collection which I really like (I love frogs!), but they didn't have my size so I decided to head to the flagship store at Piccadilly. I stopped and got some scoops of ice cream from a market stall, salted caramel and raspberry sorbet and ate it on my walk over as the sun was actually pretty warm. I ended up getting the frog skirt from Cath Kidston with a surprise 10% off at the till, and then I walked to the Saatchi Gallery as on the Tube I'd seen a poster for a Tutankhamen exhibition and checking their website I couldn't see any mention of tickets so decided to head on over. I've been to the Saatchi before so expected that even if the exhibit was ticket only, at least they'd be other stuff to look at for free. Wrong! I walked 2 miles all the way there for nothing, it is ticket only and tickets were £25 and it's taken over the whole gallery. I was at a loss for what to do as I had an hour to kill but my feet were killing me. I considered going to the V&A but there was nothing I actually wanted to look at, so I jumped on the Tube instead and went to Foyles as it's one of my favorite places. I love the huge array of books they sell in that particular store, and there's just something comforting about bookshops in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment