Sunday, August 11, 2019

When leaves have fallen and skies turned into grey

It finally felt autumnal today, and I felt like I'd come alive again. It's such a weird feeling to try and describe but I just feel so much more 'me', and I always forget until this time of year rolls round. I love seeing the nights start to draw in, feel the distinct chill in the air, and everything just starts to get a little cosier.

I bought a new sketchbook today, which certainly wasn't something I needed but I wanted it nonetheless. I've been drawn to these particular sketchbooks for a while, but they're usually shrink wrapped so I didn't know what it was like inside and didn't like to take the risk, but today they had a display copy. It's actually thin, cheap cartridge paper inside, but the spine lies flat which is most important, and holding it made me feel really nostalgic for the kind of sketchbooks I used to fill out as a teenager as they were of comparable quality. I long to draw with that carefree confidence that I had back then, and maybe going right back to basics like this will help if it inspires such nostalgia for that time. One thing I did actually learn last year is not to get too hung up on the quality of the sketchbook, as it's restrictive as there's a bigger pressure to make the art inside 'worth it'. Flicking through this sketchbook made me feel like I wanted to make a mess inside it, and that's all that matters really so I had to get it.



I got a new book to read as well, one I've been wanting to pick up for a while as it sounds intriguing and I'm actually inspired to begin it straight away instead of adding it to the 'to read' pile like I usually do. It's a Disney 'Twisted Tales' book, and according to the blurb after the Evil Queen realises that she's failed to kill Snow White she goes after the Prince, and it just sounds wonderfully creepy. I flicked through it and a lot of the characters have German names from what I could see, and the fact they got that detail right makes me feel like it should be a good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment